Thursday, May 21, 2009

Remembering my 1st Baby, Moses...



This week has been a TOUGH week, to say the least. We had to put my dear Moses down after 18 years of a long, hopefully great life! He has been around since I was 18 years old. I knew it was going to be hard, but had NO idea just how very hard it was going to be without him. All that know me, know that I am a HUGE animal-lover and have been a fur-mama for many, many years!

So, as I reflect back on his life, I want to remember all the special memories we shared. Like the way he just loved popcorn, or the way this little 7 pound cat just loved to torment my 100 pound Labrador! Or, the way he greeted me every morning sitting at the end of the bed just looking and waiting for me to feed him. The past few days have been really hard adjusting to him not being around. Especially because Moses, Pablo & I have become very close since being layed off a few months back. My two fur-babies have been my sole companionship during the day these past few months, and I feel lucky to have spent as much quality time with him as I did.

That being said, I wanted to share with you all a poem that my friend, Erin sent me yesterday that has really helped me get through not having my dear Moses around anymore.

So, to my first fur-baby I will miss you terribly but have solace knowing that you are no longer in pain. Tarzan (yes, Tarzan - my non-cat lover hubby), Pablo and I miss you more than you know.............

Moses
1991 - 5/19/2009

The Last Battle
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
and pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this--the last battle--can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
Don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears
You'd not want me to suffer, so.
When the time comes, please let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me til the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
it is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close--we two--these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment